Sunday 11 January 2015

Canada & home!

Friday 9th January
After a nice relaxing morning, today turned into a terrible travel day. I arrived at the airport to find out the dodgy website that I'd booked my flight with hadn't issued my tickets so I had to buy a new (and very expensive) ticket! Then, of course, the flight just kept getting delayed. I finally made it to Montreal though to stay with Scott and Rox.

Saturday 10th January
As it's the weekend, Scott and Rox were free to take me for a drive and walk around the city, in particular the 'old Montreal' area. I saw the frozen lake and river, as well as the ice skating rink. Then we went up to the top of the mountain which overlooks the entire city, where there is another big skate rink and even some tubing/tobogganing. We had lunch at a famous local smoked meat sandwich place - Schwartz's and stopped for a fresh bagel on the way home (still warm from the oven!). Tonight we headed out to a couple of local bars to watch an ice hockey game. We met up with some friends and experienced a high quality local bar (think Coyote Ugly haha).

Sunday 11th January
Today I headed out to the Biodome & Planetarium, a couple of the big things to see here (in this freezing weather at least). The biodome was cool, kind of a mix of museum, zoo and botanic garden where they've set up all the major landscapes of Canada and included the vegetation and animals of each. The planetarium was interesting too.

Monday 12th January
Today I just explored the local area a bit more, going for a walk (and surviving the bitter cold!). I had poutine for lunch, the one Canadian specialty I was told I had to try (it is fries covered in gravy and cheese curds). Definitely not a healthy meal but delicious all the same.

Tuesday 13th January
This morning I took the train to Quebec City where it is even colder! An average of -20 degrees! I arrived and after lunch had a quick walk around, finding an amazing view over the semi-frozen river. It is a cute little city but between the cold weather and the fact that I have come down with yet another cold today, I retired to my hostel very early and called it a night.

Wednesday 14th January
I got up and went out this morning only to find that both of the museums I had planned to visit are closed. I explored the main street of the city but there really isn't much here. After lunch I explored some more and walked around, finding some very deep snow which is always interesting (at least to a Queenslander). With not much to do here and feeling sick, I chilled out at the hostel in the afternoon, grabbed dinner and had another early night.

Thursday 15th January
A full day of travelling today to fly to Calgary.
Once I finally landed, Hayden picked me up from the airport and we caught up over dinner... his birthday dinner which I only found out tonight (for some reason I thought it was yesterday! Oops). It was good to catch up, and weird to think it's been 6 years since we lived together! After dinner he dropped me at Stacy's place where I am staying here... it's nice to know so many people in Canada.

Friday 16th January
After work Stacy took me out to see Calgary city and we went up the Calgary Tower. Great 360 view of the whole city!

Saturday 17th January
Stacy took me to the local shopping centre this afternoon and tonight we went out for her friend's birthday drinks followed by a visit with Rhiannon to say hi and keep her company housesitting.

Sunday 18th January
Day trip today to Banff with Stacy, Rhiannon & Janessa! We drove up and went tubeing... Lots of fun! While Janessa went snowboarding, Stacy, Rhiannon & I went up the Banff gondola and then we all met up for dinner and the hot springs.

Monday 19th January
Off to Lake Louise today by bus... time to go skiing.

Tuesday 20th January
A lovely day today so I walked up the mountain to the actual lake. Such a beautiful walk through the snow covered mountainside. The lake was jaw-dropping... one of the most amazing views I've ever seen and so awesome to be able to walk straight across a frozen lake! Not something you do everyday in Australia. I had lunch at the Fairmont Chateau and a spiked hot chocolate (YUM) to warm up.

Wednesday 21st January
Time to try my hand at skiing! Was quite nervous but actually did ok. Did a lesson and only went on the bunny run but mastered the basics relatively easily (although there was a couple of falls).

Thursday 22nd January
Decided to do another couple of days skiing lessons so back to the mountain today. In the afternoon we went up the chairlift and actually did a couple of green runs. I struggled with that though, it was a lot steeper and harder than I thought. There was quite a few falls including a face plant!

Friday 23rd January
I wasn't overly keen to go skiing again today but I had already paid for the lesson and I'm glad I did because I was much better today and managed the whole day without falling. It started snowing on our last run down which was nice and gave us some fresh powder (it was getting very icy after no snow for a few days). I definitely won't be a professional skier any time soon but it was fun and I was better than I thought.

Saturday 24th January
Relax day today to recover from skiing. I went shopping at the little strip centre which is Lake Louise village and had an Alberta steak for lunch (meant to be the best in the world and it was very good).

Sunday 25th January
A very long bus trip to get to Vancouver... about 13hrs! It wasn't bad though and I made it to Pam's where I'm staying here.

Monday 26th January
Taking my last week very easy but went for a walk through downtown and did some window shopping on Robson St.

Tuesday 27th January
I took the tiny little ferry across the river to Granville Island and went shopping at the public markets. I wandered around a bit of the seawall too, to the Inukshuk and then met Pam and a friend of jets for dinner... sushi! First time I've had it while I've been away.

Wednesday 28th January
I borrowed Pam's bike and ride around the seawall to Stanley Park and went to the Vancouver Aquarium. It was quite small bit very good, I can see why it is meant to be in the top 5 around the world. After Pam finished work we took the ferry down the river and had dinner in  Olympic athletes village area that is now a very nice, new area of the city.

Thursday 29th January
I visited the Capilano Suspension Bridge and rainforest that includes treetop and cliff walks. Beautiful area and reminded me of Australia (first scenery here that has done that considering everywhere else has been snow covered).

Friday 30th January
Chill day today to do my final pack and relax before my flight home!

Saturday 31st January
Crossed the international date line on the fight so today literally disappeared.

Sunday 1st February
After a very long 16hr flight, I made it to Australia! Amz picked me up from the Sydney airport. It is sooo nice to be home!!! We went into the city and walked around the harbour, had a coffee at the Opera Bar and wandered through the markets before heading back to Newcastle!

Spent the afternoon catching up with Amz, Leeon, Ari and Ella!

Monday 2nd February
Ari's first day of preschool today! After dropping him off (and Ella to day care), Amz and I enjoyed the day together... had been much too long since the last time! Coffee, lunch on the harbour, visit to the beach and then how to pick up the kids.

Tuesday 3rd February
Amz is working today and Ari is at preschool, so it's just me and Ella. We had a fun day playing and baking cupcakes.

Wednesday 4th February
Girls day today with Amz and Ella. Took it quite easy (of course it's overcast and threatening rain so can't do much), but went out for lunch.

Have my flight home to Brisbane this afternoon and my trip is officially over! 8.5 months, 257 days, 27 counties, 101 cities!

No comments:

Post a Comment